- theme: main idea/underlying meaning (may be stated directly or indirectly); universal truth, insight to how the writer sees the world/how the world works; opinion expressed on subject
- subject: topic which acts as foundation for literary work
- plot summary: what happened
- critical analysis: what happened & why
- 1st person: (singular, plural)
don't use in formal essays unless giving your personal experience as argumentative evidence!
subjective- "I", "we"
objective- "me", "us"
possessive- "my/mine", "our/ours"
- 2nd person:
do not use in formal essays!
"you", "yours", "yourself", "yourselves"
- 3rd person:
-omniscient: narrator knows feelings & thoughts of all characters, "God-like" narrator, all knowing
- it's: contraction, "it is"
- its: possessive
- who's: contraction, "who is"
- whose: possessive